A QRG Report for 11/09/14

Quilting:  did some hand stitching yesterday

This is a 50+ year old ufo from an estate sale that a friend gave me to finish as she knows I like to do QAYG.  I learned a few things so far:
  1. The polyester thread from so long ago shreds terribly when you're trying to pick out a seam.
  2. The sizes of the 7 blocks ranged from 13" to 14.75" I had to make 2 more and trim the others to 13". Fortunately there were a bag of scraps and backing/sashing to go with the squares.
  3. Working with such lofty batting is a pain.  One must squash it get an accurate size.  That was because there were already 6 squares quilted as they went and I wasn't about to take them all apart and remake them use different batting.  
  4. Polyester/cotton can be so thin!
  5. Log cabin blocks are not a good candidate for QAYG.
I've got the three rows of blocks stitched on the back.  Now I need to add the sashing between the rows, stitch those down, bind and I'll be done. I'm linking to 

Slow Sunday Stitching

this week and to  Judy's Patchwork Times  and Lyn's BOMs Away as I didn't add anything to my stash and nothing came out of my stash and I worked with these blocks. 

Reading: I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.  From the back cover: January 1946: "Writer Juliet Ashton recieves a letter from a stranger...and so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as it name."    I'm so enjoying it for the story and because it is written mostly in the form of letters exchanged which makes it easy to pick up, read a few letters, and then back to whatever I was doing.

Gardening: 
I like cactus because like mankind - they are so beautiful and varied in their diversity.

And off I go to start another week - blessings!
Angie in SoCal

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you took on quite a challenge!
    So glad you could join us for some slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you luck. I'm not patience enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this intrigues me, it's the sort of project I would like.My Mum says I just like making order out of chaos LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed that book! Just listened to it a month ago.

    I have not done QAYG, curious, why is the log cabin not suited?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that book. I'm glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow - there's just something cool about finishing somebody's work from so long ago. :) And I really enjoyed that book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...