Wow - Fabric Story

At our guild meeting our BOM queen was talking about the next block and mentioned that the checkerboard border was difficult until another member told her about a trick she knew for 4 patches.  You may know this one and even who came up with it (if you know please let me know so I can give her credit).  You make two sets of your fabrics as photo one. Iron them with the seam to the dark fabric



. Now lay one strip on top of the other - right sides together, so the seams nestle (will look like the second photo- here the top strip is turned back to see what the 4 patch will look like ).
 
Normally now I would cut the strips into sets to then pin and sew together in assembly line. Instead I draw a line on the strip to make the patch the size I want.  In this case 2" .  You see a dotted second line 1/4" to the right of the 2" line  - only needed if you don't have an accurate 1/4" foot.  I do, so I drew only a 2" line to mark my segments. (this is a little different than shown with the block but works for me.)



 I then sewed 1/4" in from the two inch line for a scant 1/4" seam. 
 

 
When I had sewn all the seams on the strip this way, I then began to cut the segments apart at the 2" line I drew.  Pressed the segments open and got 4 patches with a perfect join in the middle.  Love it!

Now off to finish the few four-patches I need doing to finish my Easy Street tomorrow.
I'm linking with Esther's Wow and Connies Free Motion Quilting by the River.  So see their goodies.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's new to me Angie. Thanks for the tute and I love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo - great trick!!! Gotta try that soon :*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Angie, that is always a great way to do them! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the tutorial you did with the 4 patch. I will have to try it out sometime. Cool pictures as well.

    Ruth from Stitching IMpressions

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...