WIPs Be Gone Report

A WIP in Waiting

Meredithe at Pomegranate and Chintz has reported on her 17 UFOs in 2017 challenge. And it's time I did the same.  Actually, I did report earlier in December - go here.  I was hoping to get to edit the review and show more progress, but that didn't happen.

So I'm going to report on how I've done in the last three years trying to make my WIPs Be Gone.  Starting  1/1/15 when I gave myself the challenge to work on WIPs til today (12/28/17),  here's is what I've discovered.

WIPs finished/or worked on significantly:  20
Charity quilts made:  59
Spontaneous Construction/Commission Quilts/New Projects:  38
So on average I worked or finished per year  7 WIPs 
                                                                      20 charity quilts 
                                                              and  13 newer projects.

Most of the newer projects are finished.  All of the charity quilts are complete also.  So it doesn't look as I am very keen on finishing WIPs.  Yikes!

But looking at the life that happened in those three years, I need to give myself a bit of slack.  First off, half of those charity quilts were made in 2015, then I broke my leg and everything quilt-wise came to a halt for most of the next 6 months - it took a full year to get back to normal.  Slowly I got back into the studio, and then I finished about a fourth of the charity quilts each of the following two years.  Same with the newer projects and WIPs.  Yes, I do favor new projects, but I"m not tired of those remaining WIPs yet.  It's that they're much bigger projects and do take time. And I had several commission quilts this past year.

So as I wrote on Lynn's blog, What a Hoot, "I'm taking a different approach - kind of like Judy Laquidara used to do with her stash reports - just count what you've used and what you've added. So yes, WIPs aren't finishing as fast as I hoped- but I'm going to count only what I've worked on or what new project I'll start for 2018 - 18 at hand at this point. But who knows what I'll add."

PS: Meredithe has mixed it up a bit for next year.  It's 6 & 6 in 2018 - 6 new projects and 6 UFOs.  I'm keeping my 18. Let's see what new things I start.  Go here to read about this highly motivational challenge. 

Happy New Year! Let the 2018 quilting begin.

9 comments:

  1. My method used to be "finish two before starting new." But that was when I had a lot of UFOs close to being finished--like sewing the blocks together or adding a border. Now I think I'll just say "one for one." I guess that's like saying 6&6 ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll join in on the 6 & 6 challenge. I've pulled my projects. https://melsquiltingblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/6-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I completely missed the fact that you broke your leg! It must have happened when I was away from blogging due to our own Life interruption. You still got a ton of work finished during the 3-yr span. Looking forward to seeing what you do this next calendar year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful report Angie, you have achieved so much in this challenge called life. I quite like the thought of giving myself permission to start 6 new projects, but will go with 6+12 UFOs. It adds up to 18, so close enough for me, lol. Haven't done my report yet but very happy with what I managed to do. Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back and read about your finishes and commented there.

    I don't know that I want to start anything new this year. Some of the 2017 list is so old that if I went back to them ( the ones that I didn't touch ) they would BE like new :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot you have accomplished. Some, ok most of my 2017 works aren't finished. The WIP, is that The Splendid Sampler?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had some lovely finishes which are great Angie, I did not have so many finishes but did work on 3/4 of them and they are one step closer to the finishing line LOL Like Deb my ones I did not touch will be like new ones all most LOL But knowing me I will start some thing new I am side tracked so easy. Happy New Year and hope you find lots of sewing time through out 2018 Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the new goal. With all you are working on how do you keep track?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been finishing everyone else's UFO and donating them to the Women's Shelter. Makes everyone happy. So far I think I have done at least a dozen. Works out great for all those involved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...